Ask any villager what they treasure the most about Corrales, and the answer will likely be the natural environment.
Here’s how to experience this scenic, relaxing world:
- Take one of our side roads off of Corrales Road to hike in the bosque (woods) and along the bank of the Rio Grande. The best roads leading to parking areas are (coming from the South) Dixon Road – go to the end or travel further North about 2 miles to Romero Road where there is an "official" parking area.
- Follow hidden trails to small beaches and enjoy the wildlife.
- Look up to admire the very old cottonwoods, and down for recent plantings to rejuvenate the bosque.
- Spot gorgeous balloons before, during and after the Balloon Fiesta. Look for some performing a “splash and dash” in the Rio Grande.
- Look for sand hill cranes squawking overhead and in the Rio Grande in the winter.
- Walk the beautiful path along the “clear ditch” – just above the bosque. (Accessible from Romero Road.)
- Walk any of the interior acequias (ditches) to see farm life of Corrales. These pathways run the length of the village. Park on any side street near an entrance.